FRANKINCENSE (BOSWELLIA) - KING OF OILS
Historically pure frankincense was treasured by the ancients and considered to be worth its weight in gold and amongst the highest valued currency traded throughout the Middle East. Its held value was so immense that the high priests of Israel would burn it as a most precious sacrifice to God. It is highly versatile in its uses and benefits, and results have been proven over thousands of years of application along with more recent research.
We Three Kings of Orient are…. who? We all know from our childhood the story of how the three Kings brought the Baby Jesus gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh after His birth. But who knows there was a hidden meaning behind these three gifts…? In Biblical times, gold, frankincense, and myrrh were considered as treasured gifts fit for the utmost of royalty. That’s why the Magi chose them for Christ. The story runs far deeper than that, though… These three items weren’t simply valued for their scarcity or expense; rather, they were highly sought after for their unrivalled ability to control one key process in the body, which we know today to be the root cause behind many ailments, that of inflammation, which many researchers now believe to be the trigger behind much chronic disease.
But how did the Magi know this? Greek word “Magi” has been mis-translated into “kings” or “wise men”; it is actually where we get the English words “magic” and “magician”. Further, the Magi are said to have been travelling to see Christ from “the east,” a region of the world known at the time for its great knowledge of natural remedies. So what did these revered men from the east know about gold, frankincense, and myrrh that the rest of us might not? We now know that at least two of the three gifts of the Magi - frankincense and myrrh - possessed incredible medicinal powers. What’s more, many argue that the third gift of gold could actually have been the “golden spice” of turmeric, which has its own set of amazing benefits.
Therapeutically: frankincense is good for so many things, it has a long list of uses and here’s a few. My tip, if in doubt and you don’t know what to use, use frankincense (after all it is referred to as the King of Oils).
- promotes cellular health and regeneration
- balances mood
- a great addition to oral hygiene regimen
- reduces the appearance of skin blemishes such as stretch marks & acne scars; witnessed in clinical studies to potentially reverse effects of ageing on the skin
- helps with chronic stress and anxiety promoting feelings of calm and improves sleep quality
- can relieve muscle and joint pain, as well as more chronic conditions like rheumatoid arthritis and inflammation
- studies have repeatedly shown that frankincense oil is a powerful immune system booster, helping to protect against harmful bacteria and viruses
- for memory/concentration: the part of the brain for interpreting aromas is closely tied to the part responsible for long-term memory and emotions. Studies have demonstrated essential oil aromas e.g. especially rosemary, peppermint and frankincense help enhance memory and alertness, very useful at exam-time!
- gas, constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, cramps, and other forms of gastrointestinal discomfort
- helps speed up the digestion of food for those with sluggish digestive tracts
- taken orally (certified pure therapeutic grade oils only) or by diffuser can help alleviate coughing, phlegm, and other symptoms of respiratory conditions
- great to use in meditation; there has been a spiritual element to it over many years through religion, meditation and ceremonies
- frankincense oil has been shown to help balance hormone levels and prevent the excess build-up of oestrogen that can lead to disastrous health outcomes
- has been shown to treat multiple forms of cancer, including ovarian, breast, and skin cancers. Studies have shown that one particularly component effectively combats cancer cells preventing them from spreading and metastasising. This includes cancer cells that have developed resistance to conventional cancer treatments like chemotherapy
Please note: do not take essential oils internally unless stated safe to do so (with wording such as "certified pure therapeutic grade").
Emotionally: can help with feelings of abandonment, spiritually disconnected, distant from father, unprotected, spiritual darkness, helping one to feel enlightened, loved, protected, wisdom, discernment, spiritually open, connection with father.
Frankincense is a powerful cleanser of spiritual darkness and invites the user to let go of lower vibrations, such as lies, deceptions and negativity, in turn helping to create new perspectives based on light and truth. It recalls to memory spiritual understanding, gifts, wisdom and knowledge that the soul brought into the world. In assisting to clear the eyes, mind and heart and connecting the soul with its inner light, this oil reveals the truth.
Frankincense supports creating a healthy attachment to one’s father and helps to feel the fatherly love of the Divine. For those who have experienced abandonment frankincense reminds them they are loved and protected. It’s a very gentle oil as well as powerful, like a father nurturing, guiding and protecting. Used during prayer and meditation this oil opens spiritual channels that allows a connection to the Divine.
Blends well with:
Basil, bergamot, black pepper, geranium, jasmine, lavender, lemon, myrrh, neroli, orange, patchouli, pine, rose, rosewood, sandalwood, vetiver, ylang ylang.
Ways to use doTERRA's Frankincense
- Diffuse a few drops, or apply to the palms of hands and deeply inhale; the woody aroma brings a feeling of relaxation and peace
- Direct application to any skin irritation, or to reflex points (a dilution of one-to-one can be used if concerned about skin sensitivity)
- Internally: take 1 or 2 drops in a veggie capsule to support cellular health, or add 1 or 2 drops under the tongue
- Add one drop to your normal moisturiser to give the skin a boost
- Add one drop to your toothbrush/toothpaste for oral hygiene
- for migraines: add one drop to your finger and touch the roof of your mouth, add a drop of Deep Blue (Soothing blend) to the base of your skull, drink water and lie down - amazing!
Remember, unless stated safe to do (such as “certified pure and therapeutic grade”), do not take essential oils internally.
Posted on Wed, 12 April, 2017
by Victoria Page filed under